Tuesday, November 20, 2012

How To Draw A Soccer Ball

Often students ask me how to draw a horse, or a basketball, or a frog, or SpongeBob. For most of these questions, I demonstrate on the chalkboard or on scrap paper. Sometimes I print a photo of the object for the student to look at while drawing. However, one things that the kids can never seem to draw, even if they have a photograph to look at, is a soccer ball! The little intersecting black pentagons and slightly larger white pentagons somehow always confuse children. So I recently developed a set of step-by-step instructions to draw a simple soccer ball that only requires the artist to draw one pentagon free-hand. I tell the kids it's like a house whose walls are leaning outward a little. I thought I would share it on here in case if anyone else needs an easy way to teach elementary kids to draw a soccer ball.


4 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I am so glad you posted this!!! I always have students ask me as well and this is just perfect!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! The next one is going to be a volleyball; that one's even trickier!

      Delete
  2. Love this! If I had a dollar for every time a student asked me how to draw a soccer ball, I'd be retired to a beach somewhere! Thanks so much for sharing this, it will be posted on my classroom wall firs thing next week.

    ReplyDelete