After studying a variety of landscapes by Pieter Brueghel the Elder, I taught my 5th grade students 5 ways to show space:
- Size (objects that are farther away look smaller)
- Receding lines (parallel lines, i.e. the edges of a road, get closer together as they get farther away)
- Placement (far away objects are placed higher on the page than near objects)
- Overlapping (Near objects can overlap part of farther away objects)
- Details (far away objects show fewer details than near objects)
The students used watercolor paints to make their own landscapes. Some of the students had really creative ideas for their landscapes! We talked about different places (jungle, beach, mountains, city, country, etc.) as well as different kinds of weather (snow, rain, sun, etc.) that could be incorporated into the paintings.