Thursday, January 5, 2012

3D Line Designs with 3rd Grade

This a great lesson on shading with colored pencils that I borrowed from artwithmre.blogspot.com. 3rd grade is a little young for a complicated project like this, but I have a very talented group of 3rd graders this year, so I decided to go for it! Most of them did an excellent job. 








Due to several holidays, school-wide programs, and two hour delays, some of my classes were several weeks behind others when we were working on this project. The classes who finished early got a bonus project of shaded snowmen! The students did a great job shading the stripes in the previous project, so I took it one step further by adding another color. On the snowmen, the students had to shade from dark to light with blue on one side, and with white on the other side. Some of the students did such a nice job shading that their snow men almost look 3D!

When I saw how nice these turned out, I wanted to do it with all of my 3rd grade classes, but then they would be behind again....so we're moving on to Pop Art. I will post pictures when they're done!
















5 comments:

  1. LOOKS GREAT!!! :) (I want a shiney new kiln...mine is 23 yrs or so old)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the value work that you do! Value is such a small idea that adds so much to all your work. I love the top projects. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flora is producing some amazing artists! Did you mark down the Hoosier snowman? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually ended up not grading the snowmen because two classes didn't do that project, and a few students were absent the day that we did snowmen. I do try not to let my allegiance to Purdue affect my students' grades, though :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jessi, these are SO impressive! It looks like you're doing a great job and your kids are following suit!

    ReplyDelete