Monday, May 19, 2014

Kindergarten Ladybugs in the Grass

I need to start out by saying, this is not my original lesson! Like many other art teachers, I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest. I have seen this ladybug collage floating around on Pinterest lately, and I decided to try it with my kindergartners.

This project ended up being a great lesson on perspective! The students really had to imagine themselves at eye-level with a ladybug to create this composition. We discussed the size of a ladybug, and how creating it real-life size would mean the picture would be very empty (imagine a 1/4" object on a 9"x12" paper; I drew a speck in a rectangle on my blackboard to demonstrate). Zooming in on the ladybug makes a better composition!

These last few days of school (11 left! not that I'm counting....), one kindergarten class in particular has been struggling a lot with behavior. They have been very irresponsible with paint (painting on their hands, on the table, spilling the water on purpose, etc.), so I've been switching to collage work. So far, it's been a success! I've had much fewer behavior problems related to art supply misuse. I just hope no one decides to give themselves a haircut, or alter their clothing....sometimes scissors are the worst thing for a rowdy kindergarten class.















1 comment:

  1. These are adorable- I may have to try this one with my Grade 2's who are studying insects this month. Thnx for sharing- your kids' work is great!

    ReplyDelete