Wednesday, October 16, 2013

1st Grade Impressionism Fall Trees

At the very beginning of this school year, my 1st grade students did a line study of a tree, learning how to control the brush. The thickest line in the tree was the tree trunk, which required painting over and over again to make it thick. Then, medium lines were added for branches; and finally, with the very tip of the brush, the students added tiny twigs.

Then, I shelved the project for two months, thinking we could finish them in the fall. I didn't really have a plan, but this week, I decided to try some Claude Monet-style Impressionistic painting. It went really well! I am so happy with these beautiful trees. I really had to encourage the students to make a "cloud" of leaves around all of the branches, instead of just dotting leaves right on the branches.







No comments:

Post a Comment