Friday, March 8, 2013

Recycling

Here are 100 maple syrup jars washed and ready to be painted as bud flower vases for Mother's Day by my second graders in a few weeks. I guess my part-time job as a waitress at Cracker Barrel pays off in more ways than just covering the bills my teacher salary doesn't cover! I haven't decided what type of paint to use on them yet, but I've heard that Folk Art enamel works well on glass. Has anyone used that, or have a suggestion on another affordable paint to use on glass? Also, I haven't decided yet if I am going to try to get real flowers for the students, or if I will have the kids make flowers. Any suggestions on a cheap way to get 100 small flowers, or a nice way to make them? I'm considering tissue paper flowers on green pipe cleaners, or asking the flower shop in town if they have any leftovers they could donate.


1 comment:

  1. The jars are so cute! I've never painted on glass, but was once donated a whole bunch of baby food jars, so we collaged over them with tissue paper scraps and diluted white glue (or Modge Podge). They looked very colourful and pretty :)
    Btw, I'm Canadian and I'm shocked at how low the salaries are in the States for teachers (and Police Officers). It's a travesty, really.

    ReplyDelete