Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ceramics with Kindergarten

I initially considered only doing ceramic projects with my older students. However, my kindergartners have been really excited about the prospect of using clay since the arrival of my large new kiln, so I decided to let them do a small project. I gave each kindergartner a very small lump of clay, and let them make it into a shape and carve designs into it with their pencil. It ended up being a great introduction to the science of ceramics (bisque firing, glaze firing, and the color changes associated with firing). The students did a wonderful job working in clay and then glazing their finished pieces. We glued magnets to the back so that they could be used as refrigerator magnets. The students were incredibly excited about making something they could take home and use! Here are a few finished pieces:

No comments:

Post a Comment